We’ve developed this newsletter/website for two purposes. First, we’d like to provide a reliable resource for funeral and cemetery business owners who may be considering succession planning and, more specifically, selling their firms. Second, we want to share SCI’s approach to acquisitions and how it may be a fit for you and your team.
We will periodically update the following sections:
1) "Intro" provides a brief summary of our recent acquisitions at the bottom of the page.
2) "Former Owner Spotlight" is where we interview a business owner who recently sold their company to us.
3) "Acquisition Performance" gives an overview of an acquisition 1-2 years ago to show what does and doesn't happen when we acquire businesses.
4) "InSCIghts" highlights SCI community involvement, providing a sense for our values and culture.
5) "Acumen" shares insights and invaluable information related to transitioning out of ownership. It's helpful whether you are considering a sale today or even years from now.
Our company remains active partnering with what we feel are the best quality businesses in our profession. Since 2010, we have invested over $500M (excluding Keystone and Stewart) partnering with individual business owners and providing them a beneficial succession plan. We are proud of our track record and the list of owners that have chosen us as their partner. We would be happy to share that list with anyone who would like to understand, firsthand, others’ experience working with SCI.
Last year was a busy year for us helping business owners with their succession planning. We completed 7 partnerships consisting of 22 funeral homes and 7 cemeteries that we are proud to highlight here. All of these firms are leaders in their communities for customer service and quality in our profession:
- FLAGLER BEACH, FL - Craig Flagler Palms Funeral Home and Cemetery joined our network in January. Alan Whetsell, who served as the GM of the combo facility, remains in that role for us.
- GREATER VANCOUVER - Bell & Burnaby joined our Canadian network effective January of 2017. Tony Slavin owned this business, and he is staying on as the manager of this fine firm.
- GREATER MILWAUKEE, WI - we acquired four cemeteries in January that were privately owned. The owners were not involved in operations and their management team has remained in place.
- DAVENPORT, IA - Weerts Funeral Home joined our network in February. Dave Deuth has since joined our Business Development team while Mark Saunders, Dave’s lead funeral director, has taken over as the location manager.
- BUFFALO, NY - Hoy Funeral Home joined our network in February. Bob and Mimi Enos owned this firm and both Bob and Mimi are staying on in operations.
- AUSTIN, TX - Laurens Fish and Weed-Corley-Fish partnered with us in April. Laurens stayed on as the President of Weed-Corley-Fish and stays highly involved in the community.
- COLORADO/NEBRASKA - Allnutt Funeral Services as well as related businesses in Colorado and Nebraska joined our network in August. Rick Allnutt is staying on as a consultant and Adam Findley, Rick’s GM over operations, is going to lead these businesses for SCI.
We are proud that each of these exceptional business owners trusted our company with their family legacy. We are humbled by this responsibility and have worked diligently to ensure a smooth transition for their team and client families. Feel free to contact us to learn more.
What we stand for
Service Corporation International is dedicated to compassionately supporting families at difficult times, celebrating the significance of lives that have been lived, and preserving memories that transcend generations, with dignity and honor.